Poison Centre Notifications
Did you know that half a million calls are made annually to national poison centres? In about half of these cases, they relate to accidental exposure of hazardous mixtures involving children. This is because hazardous mixtures are prevalent in our everyday lives – from laundry detergent to household cleaners.
The EU Commission Regulation (EU) 2017/542 amends the regulation (EC) No 1272/2008 of the European Parliament and of the European Council regulation on classification, labeling and packaging substances and mixtures (CLP). It calls for an EU-wide regulation harmonizing information relating to emergency health response that is provided to national poison centres in the EU and the European Economic Area (EEA). All mixtures that are classified for human health and physical effects are required to submit a notification in the poison centre notification (PCN) format via the ECHA Submission Portal.
Am I affected?
If you fall in any of the following categories, you are obliged to submit a notification:
- Importers of hazardous mixtures to the EU
- Downstream users (formulator, re-packager, re-filler, toll formulator)
*If the mixture is distributed in states other than the ones included in the original PCN submission.
What needs to be notified?
Mixtures that meet the following criteria must be notified:
- classified for human health and/or physical effects
- placed on the EEA market, i.e., the EU, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein
Exemptions: mixtures used for purposes of research and development and mixtures that are only classified as gases under pressure or explosives.
What data is required?
The following information is required in a PCN notification:
- Contact details of the importer or downstream user submitting the notification
- Trade name of the mixture
- Packaging type and size of the mixture
- Hazard information
- Toxicological information
- Phys-chemical properties of the mixture (color, pH value, state)
The PCN format brings with it new data elements. Namely:
- Full chemical composition
- Unique formula identifier (UFI) that has to be included in the labeling of your product
- European Categorization System (EuPCS) that has to be assigned to your product
When must I submit data?
- 1st January 2021 – for mixtures intended for consumer and professional use
- 1st January 2024 – Industrial use only
If a mixture has several types of use or is used in other mixtures further down the supply chain, the earliest deadline applies.